Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Hurricane Season













Summer of 69, Camp Counselor at Camp Alpine, suddenly several of our campers are seen packing to leave as their parents picked them up. Reason, Hurricane Camille.
I still remember the years of recovery.

Forward to 1985, Hurricane Elena comes right up our street in Moss Point, MS. We stayed across the street in the Methodist Church Educational Building. It was the longest night of my life as we literally held the doors closed with ropes. For weeks we had no power and the streets looked like tunnels with debris piled up on the sides of the road. I decided upon reflection that I should not have stayed with my family, thinking that as a pastor it was the right thing to do. One reason I am thankful to no longer be whistling Dixie.

Katrina stunned me, my two trips back were filled with Katrina recovery stories. I always pray for those facing this kinds of weather, and am doing so today for South Florida.

No comments: