Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Shell Seekers



I love traveling with my grandchild. She enables us to ack like kids on the beach. The shells were everywhere and quite spectacular in their abundance and variety and percent of unbroken shells.

On Ship Island we were encouranged to keep any shell that had not living inhabitants. No hermit crabs. I found myself asking all kinds of questions about these creatures. How do they find a shell? How do they trade up when they outgrow a shell?

I picked up this beautiful specimen, hoping it was a keeper, it was heavy and when I examined it, the crab was holding another shell as if his life depended on it. The smaller shell was occupied as well....so I thought.....is this an eviction?

No comments: