Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Always thinking

I led the funeral services for both of these dear saints. She was round and heavy and happy and he was wasted and wiry and over ready to leave a few years later. One lifetime is all we get to live and get wisdom and understanding.

In my yard one spring day in 2007 as I am raking leaves, those tiny microscopic droppings of a cursed desert tree, I was thinking about all I had been reading and studying since embarking on my personal quest to find a faith for the second half of life, and suddenly, it hit me, an idea about God and faith that exploded the boxes I had struggled to fit in for decades, and I was for the next hour caught up in a beautific vision of the God of the Cosmos.

I have never been the same since that day, but,me being who I am, I set out to test and retest and think and rethink my new idea. When I shared it most met the idea with fear and suspicion, for it sounded like nothing they were taught. I would lick my wounds form such encounters and tuck the idea away for fear that someone would snatch it away and stomp it to death. An unworthy idea.

What if someone who did not have to think their way out of boxes built over hundreds of years took this idea and what if they were not afraid to explore it and take it out for others to see....would they be able to build a new, an yet an older truth and recover a wider vision of the mercy and power and plan of God?

Yes, they can and they are. And I am enjoying watching it happen.

2 comments:

Lynn Beck said...

Don - I am loving your posts. Thanks for being willing to go into the possibility that God is bigger than our doctrines and dogmas. And I, too, love Anne LaMott's work.

Lynn Beck said...

Don - I am loving your posts. Thanks for being willing to go into the possibility that God is bigger than our doctrines and dogmas. And I, too, love Anne LaMott's work.