Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Masters

Every golfer warming up believes for a moment that todays round could be his best ever!!!!!

Phil Michealson is favored to win the Masters this week, and that is a heavy burden to carry. My life in Phoenix has spanned the career of this man. The morning after he won the Tucson Open Professional Tournament as an amateur I was headed to a breakfast meeting about 6:30 am and I was driving through Tempe. Phil and his coach were hitting balls on the practice tee at Karsten Golf Course early Monday morning. I thought to myself then....this guy is going to have a great career.

For a lover of golf, Augusta is a bit like heaven on earth. The history, the beauty, the tradition make this a special week in sports viewing. No mere mortal can drive up the the clubhouse at anytime of the year. I was in Augusta one year and I purposely stopped my car and crossed the road to peek through the thick bushes for a live look at the course. One of my deacons happened to win a ticket lottery for a day pass when I was in Moss Point, MS. One shot to be in the gallery....and its the 86 Masters won my Nicklaus. I was on the couch watching then, and will be this Sunday afternoon....kind of connects you to passing time and history.

No comments: