Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Planning ahead was never my strong suit

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes babies in a baby carriage. Been there did that, loved every minute of it, got all the receipts.

I wanted to be a pastor/teacher and lots of guys targeted cities and dreamed of types of service, but I was a dude who really came late to the party and did not have a real idea of where I fit, so I thought, why not just take a little church in a little town and learn the ropes?

I did and it almost killed me. Long story and I don't want to go there.

Anyhow planning ahead is tough for me, I am sort of a procrastinator and live in the moment guy who nevertheless has daily and weekly deadlines that I mostly accomplish.

My life in ministry was more akin to survivor than thriver. But I stuck with it, and enjoyed the ups and downs, mainly because my bride is still my friend and we will hit the big 40 year anniversary in January.

Now I am thinking about how we will live, and move and have our being when the paychecks stop. Planning for retirement is sort of like having those babies, you look forward to it and have no idea how expensive they are, how they change everything.

What will it be like when we have time, and a modest bucket list? Will we have enough money for a movie, a dinner out, golf, trips. Will a health problem wipe out our savings. I know I am supposed to trust in the Lord and all that, but, a wise dude plans ahead the book says, and for me, that is hard.

No comments: