Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Cultural and generational diversity


One of the greatest things about being American is our diversity. It is a constant over geography and aging that we are surrounded by folks whose experience and ways of thinking are different than ours, and yet we bend and flex with toleration and patience to a great degree.

I mentioned a popular song from the 40s we heard, which was amusing and our first time to hear it, and the vast majority of my older Americans knew the song well. It brought back memories of the decade of WWII, when I was only an idea in my folks future.

Our birthday dictates our experience, and limitations and the way we see passing fads and realities. You are shaped by what you experience. They had bell bottom trousers to express service and separation, I had bell bottom trousers to express rebellion and freedom. Its odd and wonderful.

Each time we spend a few hours in New Orleans and feel the way of life for that coastal French influenced city, we realize how people are stamped by their environment. I love it, and I love my diverse country and her freedoms of expression and life.

I love the places I have lived and the decades I have lived in them, for each has put its stamp on my own experience of life and freedom.

And, of course, I love the idea that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, and He can roll with whatever reason we where bell bottom trousers.

No comments: