Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Use It or Lose It


A collection of dental equipment from America's past. Thought about this as I toured Dr. F's new office last week.

“Use it or lose it” is a maxim I believe is true about many things. After 10 days away from the gym my weight lifting showed a loss of strength.  I also know that a mind that is not engaged with constant exercise begins to atrophy. “ Reading makes the whole man” was a quote ole Dr. Strong reminded us of in seminary long ago, and so I try never to go a week without bodily exercise and mental discipline.

Now in my sixth decade I see the inevitable effects of aging and grudgingly accept them, but not without doing my part to keep the system lubricated with good nutrition, good sleep, and good thoughts.
This has not always been true, sadly there were many long years when I allowed the demands of life to make me sedentary and stressed, which became the seedbed for many of my physical issues, and I ate to deal with emotions, which is still a constant struggle.

So, fellow strugglers, the good news is that it does not take hours and hours of physical exercise to reap a positive benefit, get out and walk, stretch and lift heavy things a bit. Always have a book or an article nearby, and eat clean, healthy fats, proteins, and carbs from fruits and veggies. Not preachin, just sayin, its makes me feel younger and alive.

No comments: