Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

An April Fools Memory












Blogger is still letting me in. It was not an April Fools Joke, but the story is about a doozy of one.

It was 1969 and my best buddy Alex invited me to Ft. Lauderdale for Spring Break. It was a magical experience for a teenager. We drove up to Ft. Pierce which had four to five foot waves. I am using Alex's old board struggling to get the hang of catching a wave.

Alex slips off his board and it rides a wave all the way to the beach without him.
He swims over to me and says, "Hey, Don, tread water for a minute while I check out your board", He catches a wave, and leaves me out there, Shouting "April Fools".
He had a bit of a selfish streak.

Later that morning the board came apart and cut my thumb deeply, and we ended up in the emergency room for stiches. I still have the scar.

No comments: