Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Reading


Laura is using her time off to read. Trying some noted newer novelists, and always a crime drama from Ann Rule. We talk a lot about issues raised and I am always in and out of my Kindle collection.

I got the complete works of George McDonald for 2 dollars, over 50 novels. McDonald made a living writing and lecturing after being booted out of the church for believing and teaching that God is Love. He had a huge family and a fascinating life which included terrible bouts of illness which forced him to summer outside of Ireland and England. His biography is tremendous.

I was an OK student, remembered things and made decent grades, but my real education has been the last fourty years when I made reading a priority. The old saying was, reading makes the full man. I have learned so much about life, health, scripture, the world, my hobbies, by listening to those who are farther along or completely dedicated to a subject.

No comments: