Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Eating Primally


My new Cardiac Physician checked me out today and set me free for six months. Insofar as it is possible I am attempting to eat and move and live a lifestyle of heart recovery.

I am following the theory that the problem for diabetic related heart problems is inflammation as a result of insulin sensitivity and insulin overproduction to deal with glucose. There are tomes of evidence that the strict control of carbohydrate intake is the best chance for stopping and or reversing my genetic and whatever else is causing my arteries to clog.

The natural foods I am eating are filling. I will always love bread, but I have not missed it as much as I thought I would, and yes, there are still times when I eat Wasa Bread, or Wheat Crackers, or an occasional sandwich, but it is just a small part of my daily planning.

Breakfast, an omelet with turkey bits and cheese, Lunch, a salad with homemade dressing, and some lowfat cottage cheese with pineapple bits, yummy. Dinner, Chicken breast in wine with mushrooms and white cheese, some leftover salad, and quinoa, my new high protein rice substitute. Hard to call this suffering??

I may get hit by a bus, or develop cancer, but this is something I can responsibly do to help me be a good steward of the time I have left in this body. If the big one hits my heart, I will not regret this effort.

I love the people I am connecting with in the Primal/Paleo side of eating. I enjoy the crowds at my gym of people of all ages moving, stretching, and lifting. I am kind of encouraged that a fine group of teenagers are working out regularly. Mark Sisson or Marks Daily Apple, and the Primal Blueprint have helped me a bunch, and my new educational cookbook by Sally Fallon is named Nourishing Traditions. Yum.

No comments: