Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Rest in peace, my brother in Christ














A quiet New Years Day. I did not watch one play of football. As we were preparing soup for dinner, a call informed me that my friend Hugh had just passed away. I found his wife Donna and some family friends in the emergency room and we had a final prayer around his now silent and still body.

The cancer diagnosis was unexpected, the battle valiant. For many years this sweet couple have sat in my weekly Bible study, thinking about the promises of God, and at this moment, it is all we have. We must believe the most elemental of all promises, that Christ has taken the dominion away from death.

This good man had a good wife and family, a good career in the transportation industry, and a good life. They did not want it to end, no one does. But the meeting was yesterday for Hugh, unexpectedly, and we begin to grieve and to hope again. I never get used to these moments around the bed of a loved one whose tent has collapsed. They bring me face to face with my own upcoming meeting, yet create in me the lovely desire to seize the day. Carpe Diem.

No comments: