Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Young married preacher man













Laura and her mom, me and my mom 1975.

Prattville Alabama is an old southern town with an ancient cotton thread spinning plant and a large military population due to Maxwell AFB in Montgomery. After our wedding and a short honeymoon in New Orleans we began our marriage in ministry.

I made a paycheck and bought Laura and half caret diamond ring and then realized I had no money to live on for a month. Those early months were so special, you can see by the picture that the tonnage on my belly from single guys hamburger helper was going away. One of the Elders gave us a new queen size mattress which we enjoyed in every sense of the word. Our little apartment was connected to a widow ladies home by a small hallway and the door to that hallway had diagonal slats.....we always worried about laughing and "celebrating" too loudly, as least I did.

I remember moving to that apartment as a batchelor with all my worldly belongs in the trunk and leaving with my wife with an 8x12 Uhaul. Every move of our life since that day would require more truck for more stuff.

Bottom line, having Laura with me in youth work, later ministry, was always an asset, a personal blessing, and fun. Teasing her about her obsession with As the World Turns. He neatness habits that literally saved my life. I only wish the ministry had been more rewarding for her....I hate to say it, but there is a price to pay for fish bowl living....or sheep tending....they nip at you while you are tring to help them.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm enjoying reading about you and mom's early years. I love that picture of the 4 of you together. I've never seen that one.