Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Friday, November 6, 2009

A question I have wanted to ask








Today, in the usual banter of men relaxing after a round of golf, I heard a story from a gentleman about his time as an attack helicopter pilot in Vietnam. As we left I aked him this. How do you feel after all these decades about the killing you did during the war? I had no judgmentalism in my voice, just interest.

"The first time is very hard, and I remember people shooting at us who should not have been involved, a fourteen year old throwing a grenade...a woman firing a rifle at the choppers. Those I remember, and they haunt me."

But, honestly, after you see a helicopter go down, after you lose a couple of friends, you just do the job and do not think about it at all.

No comments: