Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Problem with Scruples













When a person has religious scruples such as strict Sunday Sabbath Keeping. It provides a way to express devotion to God by hallowing a day of the seven as did Israel in the Old Covenant. I mostly kept myself from offending these folks in my first pastoral ministry until I got caught between a rock and a hard place, needing to finish a tennis tournament on a Sunday Afternoon with the husband of said strict wife and family.

The fruit of that transgression led to a type of religious shunning that stings me to this day. Years after I left that church I ran into a young lady who said, Why on earth did those families hate you so much, Pastor Don???

Its a long story, I said, and changed the subject. I have always taught that nine of the ten commandments are restated as moral priniciples in the gospel, and thus become the law of Christ expressed in love and indwelling power, but the sabbath is fulfilled in Christ for we do not labor for His approval but rest in His completed work and enjoy an eternal and moment by moment rest in Him. Good stuff I think.

No comments: