Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Impact of Dallas Willard



I made a conscious decision to begin listening to voices outside my own tradition years ago, and the Renovare Conference in Denver led me to listen to some tapes, hear some lectures, and read the writings of Dallas Willard, who died this week.

He was one of the voices for a modern resurgance of the spiritual formation movement, the "with God" life, which stressed practising the presence of God with disciplines of prayer and service.

I was so impressed with his insights and humility at that conference that had over 3000 in attendance that I remember hoping I could thank him for his messages one morning, and later that day, we passed each other on the street and I got to chat for a moment with him.

A voracious reader who owned an extra home to keep his library, he rose from a poor motherless Missouri upbringing to a 50 year career teaching philosophy at the University of Southern California. A great communicator and sincere believer. I suggest you read one of his books. My heart was renovated by his teaching on Jesus and the Kingdom of God.

No comments: