Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

When slides ruled

My parents got me into taking slides instead of prints, but I did a lot of both when I began to take pictures as a hobby and a way to preserve my memories. I remember my first real 35 mm camera, a Yashica viewfinder, which I truly enjoyed. It had such a solid feel and quiet operation.

Yet I began saving the colossal sum of 250 dollars for my Ricoh SLR, shiny black and so full of buttons and gadgets. I loved it as well right up until my son Matt pulled it off a table and it landed on the prism and that was that.

So now I am taking one last plod through the process of transferring those slides to digital, both my parents and my own, digging first through a box with about 1500, and then to the Kodak Carousels of my folks.

Its been fun reliving the late 70s and early 80s when our kids were born and babies and toddlers. If you remember, Kodak sold film in 12,24 and 36 shots and I mostly bought 36. I have no memory of struggling to pay for the prints and slides but it must have been occasionally enough for Laura to complain. I took so many really bad shots.

After I tranfer the digitals and am sure they took, I am going to toss the slides away forever, and ever and ever. Why, because digital rules.

No comments: