Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Islands in the Ocean






This is my 100th post, yeah, consistency.

My conversion to Christ caused a beachhead to form in my heart and mind, the place where a Christ centered direction could form that would begin to break those drifting patterns of the world's ocean of conformity that pushed me to and fro aimlessly.

I entered those Islands regularly, places where the air is different because people are following a leader who cares and loves. I began attending church, hanging around with Christians, and finally choosing to live in a place because of me, not because of my father's work. It was the time for that kind of decision.

I entered the Island of Belhaven College, a little oasis of God's Kingdom, began attending classes while I lived at home that first year. There I met a young black women there to study piano and learn to be a Christian educator. There was a friendly relationship with a person of color for the first time in my life, and not the banter of a subservient maid, but two humans relating about life. Shortly an involvement with Intervarsity would bring me into contact with more Christians discussing faith interracialy. I would find myself more and more in agreement with the defining speech of Martin Luther Kings life, hoping for a time when a person would be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

Change is what Jesus brought to this broken world, a change that would value human life by living unconditional and sacrificial love. Wherever two or three gather their is an island of Kingdom grace established where change can take place. I still believe that after forty years of faith.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Praise God for your faith that God used to shape mine.: ) I like your series.