Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Does the end justify the means?

Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite National Park

This has been an intramural Christian discussion going on forever. Was it OK to lie during the war to protect innocent lives? Can you achieve peace and end violence by practicing violence for a good purpose?

It stood out so clearly last week, assuming I heard all this correctly, when Harry Reid spoke on the Senate floor and reported that Romney had not paid any taxes for a decade.

When proven to be untrue, Reids reply was, "Well he did'nt win, did he? Which was a way of saying that his false report accomplished the desired ends and therefore from his perspective, was the right thing to do.

Someone told me that I slandered the President from the pulpit a few years ago. I have no memory of it, and will apologize to the one who told me I did this, but it raises a question of speaking the truth, or expressing an opinion or speaking about politics from the pulpit. I am hearing that preachers are failing the culture and the church by not speaking out on the issues of violence against Christians and the harassment of conservatives by liberals and gay activists.

What is free speech, what is offensive speech? Do I want to be the type of preacher always speaking about what we are against rather than what we are for?

I know this, slander, to me, involves a deliberate attempt to slur a personality or statement. Conservatives often question the motives and actions of any President and that is part of our free society. I hope and try not to mix my own values and politics from the pulpit and hope I did not cross the line then or now, or in the future. Still do not want to be the kind of preacher who panders to political persuasion from either side of the aisle.

No comments: