Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Joy of Signing












Today we had a group in our multi-media room learning the basics of ASL signing. I was amazed at how intuitive many of the signs for simple words are, although Jan kept pointing out that the language is over 100 years old so the sign for girl is tieing a bonnet???!!!

Jan is signing for worship songs for us several times a year, and as she explains the movements we develop a deeper appreciation for the expressiveness of hand movements.

It was enlightening and enjoyable, although I am not ready to tackle the ASL alphabet, tried it once and got defeated. Next time I see some people communicating this way I know I will be a tiny bit more observant and connected to this great tool to help vast numbers of hear impaired people, and I feel myself getting closer to them with my own growing hearing problems.

No comments: