Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

I need a third place


One of the most consistently challenging and amazing bloggers I read weekly is Richard Beck at Experimental Theology. He is always testing some idea that blends the most delicious aspects of human behavior with Christian truth.

His latest series deals with our loss of places to meet and talk. Something Twitter seems to be trying to help, but honestly, I have no interest in it. What I realized that I want is a bar like Cheers, where everybody knows your name.

My father loved coffee shops. Whereever we lived Dad would find fellowship with the guys at the cafes. Some of my favorite memories of my Dad where in those places. I remember Grimes Restaurant in Troy Alabama, and finally, in Pensacola, the local McDonalds. We had a coffee shop in Queen Creek that was distinctively Christian and just closed for lack of sufficient income to keep it open. Sad.

We actually have a breakfast and lunch place in our country club where this happens, I just happen to be about a decade too young to feel comfortable there. Read Richard Beck....and I am going looking for that place.

No comments: