Hawaii 2010

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Don in AZ. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Too late to change this choice

Laura was on an outing with her class, two moms, one in her 30s, one in her 40s and Laura were all reminiscing about the freedom to roam the neighborhood they enjoyed and how the parents just said, "be back by dark". Then each shared that they had been raised in small towns. At that point Laura realized that her small town life gave her the same freedom.

Then we remembered how our middle son enjoyed our small town life, and once he got lost and a homeowner had to call us to help him find his way home on his new bike. When we moved to Gilbert, the traffic, the fenced back yards and the large city lifestyle actually closed us all in, and made common neighborliness or "southern hospitality" a thing of the past.

All the moms said they cannot give their children freedom in the present day Gilbert,Queen Creek community.

For a moment I thought, what if I had been more content to be a small town pastor, would it have been more positive for my kids?

Too late to change this choice, this morning I fought my way through 45 minutes of bumper to bumper to check on a person in the hospital, I am a large city guy, but my Sun Lakes Community of six square miles is a small town kind of place. I am OK with that.

Some cute backyard ornaments noticed at a back yard party, love it.

No comments: